Saturday, March 8, 2008

Attachments....


Attachments
colored pencil on illustration board, 12.5" x 19.5"
copyright MaryAnn Cleary

Yesterday, I was able to spend some time reading about getting organized and how I would really need to do so in order to move on with marketing my art. Those piles of papers, the clutter around my computer, getting my studio set up as a studio, files on my computer, paper files, my inventory, my mailing list....the list goes on. Like the drawing above, things are strewn all over the place and even though they are necessary, everything needs to find a place. This should help with managing my time better as I will not spend those precious moments constantly trying to remember where I put something.

As I read through Stanfield's book, I'd rather be in the studio, I am realizing that the marketing portion of my art will take considerable time and commitment. I have made the decision to leave the corporate world behind me and to venture to this new, but familiar, frontier - at least the art part, not the marketing side. I believe in me. My family believes in me. According to Stanfield, it is important to get organized, stop wasting energy, so that there is more time for the creative mind. "An effective routine is built on knowing what you have to do and when you have to do the things you know you have to do!" (p.28, Stanfield).

Right now I have a lower level room in my house that is filled with my "stuff" from China. I have procrastinated unpacking and getting those things put away. "It is too cold. I need to paint. I have no place to put it...." The list goes on. That room will make a perfect studio. I have a wonderful view of the river and the light is perfect with the northern exposure. So what is stopping me? It means commitment...commitment to doing my art daily, to setting up a routine, to doing what I love. However, I also find myself fearful. I fear that I won't be able to make my house payment or that I will need another job or that who in their right mind would decide to leave such a good job....my "monkey mind" tries to take over and convince me not to take the risk. I undermine myself.

So today, I will make my list, begin to get things into order, and start on being an artist. I believe in me.

MaryAnn


Stanfield, A., I rather be in the studio!, Pentas Press, Colorado, (2008).

"Attachment" - this is a colored pencil drawing with many layers. I burnished some areas to bring out a paint-like quality. This was done while I lived in Arizona a few years back. The drawing was accepted into a couple of juried shows and I remember someone wanting to trade me a set of pottery dishes for it. I decided to keep the drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment