Sunday, April 6, 2008

Color Card Isolator



Today I spent the day reading one of my old art books called, "Fill Your Oil Paintings with Light and Color" by Kevin MacPherson. What an interesting book on color.

Some of the tips and techniques were very informative and I will try using them in my daily paintings. The first thing that I am going to try is a tool called the "magical color isolator". It is just a piece of white card with three holes punched into it. One side is white and the other side has three stripes on it: white, grey and black. The holes are in the middle of each of these tones.

The card is only one inch by three inches and easy to make. I plan on putting one together and trying it out. Color is relative to its surroundings and sometimes I find it difficult to figure out what the value of it is. If a person starts off wrong, the entire painting can suffer.

Almost forgot...to use the card just hold it about six inches from one eye....look at the color and tone. Paint what you see!!! This is important. Do not paint what you think the color is...that is what will screw everything up.

I plan on trying this out on my next painting for my daily painting blog.


One other thing that is also recommended is to paint the same subject in different light and with different backgrounds....I plan on trying this with on of my still life setups just to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment