Saturday, May 24, 2008


Self-portrait 1994
charcoal on Rives BFK paper, 40 x 36 inches
copyright MaryAnn Cleary

As I do my daily painting thing to help hone my skills as an artist, I realize that just painting a picture only hones my painting and drawing skills. What about putting a painting or drawing together? Why are we drawn to certain paintings? What makes others so-so?

I believe that it will be helpful to look at not only the process of "putting things together" with my own paintings, but only looking at others, both historically and today, to see what makes a good painting.

Are there rules one should follow? Can the rules be broken?

One of my drawing instructors a few years back commented on a person needs to be able to draw in order to produce a great piece of work. It did not make a difference if it was an abstract or realistic. To make a good piece of artwork, choices are needed. Where to add contrast and the reasons for doing it all make for producing a great work. Hard and soft edged lines... patterns.... reasons why the eye wants to stay and look ... adding depth... the list goes on. Drawing skills gives a person the confidence to make those choices and also knowing the reasons for making them.

How do others go about doing a drawing or painting? Do you do preliminary sketches or take photos? Does anyone have a drawing or painting that they would like to share?

In the future, look for more of my process steps and also the reasons for why or I do things that I do.

MaryAnn

2 comments:

  1. I've come over to your blog from Katherine Tyrrell's and was interested to find another drawing enthusiast as well as painter. Drawing is my passion and I use most dry media for it, but also dabble in paints from time to time.

    I will be back for more visits to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette,
    Thanks so much for visiting and leaving a comment. Drawing is where my comfort zone is and also my passion. There is nothing like a good paper and charcoal.

    MaryAnn

    ReplyDelete