Tuesday, July 22, 2008

An Update on Some Papers


This is a photo of the print done on Stonehenge paper that has a grey tone to it.
This was my first attempt.
The paper is large at 15.5" x 22"


After getting over the fear of setting up my printer, I did do some printing using a variety of papers. There are still more that I want to try and in a more organized fashion instead of "just wanting to see what it looks like."

Since I am an avid photographer as well as being a fine artist, I did print out some of my photographs as well as some replicas of my artwork.


Both of these were done on the Ceramic Gloss paper (they look much better in real life vs. my rather crappy photos)

The papers that I have tried thus far are:
  • Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster
  • Somerset velvet
  • Stonehenge (artist print paper)
  • InkJetArt Micro Ceramic Gloss Plus


  • The one on the left is the Epson Luster photo paper and the one on the right is the Somerset Velvet
  • Notice the color differences (this has to do with how the paper absorbs the ink)
  • Definitely more experimentationis needed with the Somerset Velvet

What I have learned so far:
  • the Epson Luster paper is one of my favorites, especially for photos
    • it has a wonderful matte finish
    • the prints look fabulous
  • using the Somerset velvet can be tricky
    • this paper should not use the highest dpi when printing, e.g., I tried printing one of my mandala prints that had a dark green background and the background ended up being almost black. I used the highest dpi for the printer and this was a mistake.
    • the results are best for light colored artworks, such as watercolors or some of my manipulated photos that have a watercolor feel to them
    • more work needs to be done, but I really like this paper as it is thick and luscious like a nice artist's paper.
  • the micro ceramic gloss plus paper is very glossy, it does well for those photo shots where one wants a glossy print
    • the surface is very smooth and does not have a texture to it like the Epson matte paper
    • it did make nice mandala prints

These are small prints done on the Epson Luster paper of two watercolors and a small oil


Papers yet to try:

  • a couple of sample packs, one from Hahnemuhle
  • one that is an assortment of smooth fine are papers
  • more of my art papers, such as the toned Canson papers
  • Epson Velvet Fine Art paper
The learning curve for this printer is going to take some time, but one cannot be fearful of making mistakes. After all, that is how a person learns. In the meantime, I plan on doing a little more research in what parameters to use with which paper. There is a strong support team out there. One just needs to reach out and use it. Now that I have more knowledge of the workings of this printer, I will have a better feel to search out what I am looking for.

So far, I really like it. I am also realizing papers can make a difference. Look for more on what I find out.

If anyone else has questions or has experiences they would like to share, I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to leave a comment.

Thanks for stopping by ~ MaryAnn

All images are copyright 2008 MaryAnn Cleary.

No comments:

Post a Comment